Well-being for your business
When your work involves long days sitting at your computer, you don’t want to be bothered by an aching back, tight shoulders, headaches or painful arms. You want to be comfortable, productive and feel focused on the task at hand. The set-up of your workplace plays a vital role in avoiding fatigue and keeping pain at bay. That’s why workplace assessments are a big part of what we do at Karaka Physiotherapy & Pilates.
About occupational health
Every year thousands of New Zealanders are injured at work, or suffer from a work-related disease. If you experience an injury at work then a physio working in occupational health can provide assessment and rehabilitation to help you remain at work, or return to your job. While the workplace is the main focus a physio can also look at your ability to function at home and in your community.
Preventing injuries at work
There are a number of ways to prevent injuries at work and a physio can help you identify these via workplace assessment. A few simple tips to think about include;
- If you use your hands a lot (such as typing) then give your hands and wrists a quick break every 30 minutes
- Report any hazardous equipment or areas such as slippery floors or loose carpet
- Help prevent back injuries by learning the correct way to lift (lift with your legs) and using appropriate lifting equipment where necessary
- Practice good posture at your desk and consider an ergonomic chair
- Create a free health and safety tip sheet for your workplace at http://www.worksmarttips.co.nz/
How can physiotherapy help?
There is a range of physiotherapy services that can help you be better at work including;
- Workplace assessments and recommendations
- Analysing work tasks and recommending changes to prevent injury
- Education about injury prevention in the workplace, including back care, manual handling and prevention of occupational overuse syndrome
- Treatment of work related injuries
- Return-to-work planning
- Stress management and relaxation therapies
- Pain management.
Many people have a sense that posture is important and have picked up a few tips over the years. However, getting it right on your own isn’t easy. There’s a critical difference between knowing what to do and managing to do it every day. In fact, it’s possible to have all the “right” equipment and still be uncomfortable or at risk of injury.
At Karaka Physiotherapy & Pilates, we are proud of helping people and businesses with our practical approach. Heights and angles can be important, but not as important as finding an arrangement that suits the worker. We’ll make changes on the spot with your current equipment, give key pieces of advice and write a report in as much detail as you require. When appropriate, this can include suggestions for any new equipment to make your set-up even better.
All our assessments are carried out by experienced Physiotherapists who treat work-related injuries every day. We offer flexible services to achieve what you’re after, whether that’s detailed consultations or succinct check-ups, for one person or over a hundred.
Our services receive great feedback, are competitively priced and are a simple way to care for you, your team and your business.